The Charitable Infirmary is the oldest voluntary hospital in Ireland and Great Britain. Founded in 1718, it served the citizens of Dublin for 270 years. In its near three centuries of existence it was witness to the social and cultural vicissitudes of a city that witnessed the splendour and poverty of the Georgian era, the depression following the Act of Union, the excitement of Catholic Emancipation, the industrial and scientific progress of the Victorian age, the misery of the Great Famine, the Easter Rebellion and the Civil War, and lastly the dramatic social changes that characterised the history of the ninetieth century. In 1718 six Dublin surgeons, appalled by the miserable conditions of the sick poor in the city, opened the first voluntary hospital in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in Cook Street, Dublin. The Hospital moved premises a number of times and when the plans for the new Four Courts were announced in 1786, it became necessary for the Charitable Infirmary to move on once more. The Earl of Charlemont, having just completed a mansion (now the Municipal Gallery) on Rutland (now Parnell) Square, vacated his old family mansion at No. 14 Jervis Street, which was purchased by the trustees of the hospital. The Charitable Infirmary was built on this site in 1803 with monies raised by public subscription. The hospital was administered under royal charters from 1792. In 1854, on the invitation of the Managing Committee of the Governors, the Sisters of Mercy came to the Charitable Infirmary to supervise nursing and continued in unbroken service for 129 years. The first blood transfusion in Ireland was given in the Charitable Infirmary on 20th April 1865 and the first kidney transplant in the country was performed there on 31st January 1964. On 28th November 1987, the patients and staff were transferred to the new Beaumont Hospital, and the Charitable Infirmary, known affectionately by Dubliners as “the Jerv”, closed its doors after 270 years devoted to caring for the sick and needy of Dublin and much of Ireland.
The members of the Board of the Charitable Infirmary Charitable Trust are (please click on each member's name for more information).
The Managing Committee
The Managing Committee of the Charitable Infirmary Charitable Trust is elected annually by the Governors and operates under the Charter originally granted in 1792 and provides support for the needs for the sick and infirm of Dublin, and for medical research, education and training.
- Mr. Michael Patten Chairman
- Mr. Bernard Kearney
- Ms. Sheila Maguire
- Ms. Ina Nolan
- Mr. Barry O' Brien
- Mr. Justice larfhlaith O'Neill
- Rev. Fr. Damian Canon O'Reilly
- Mr. John Pierce
- Ms. Joan Reidy
- Mr. Anthony Sturgess
- Professor Kieran Taaffe
- Mr. Eoin Tierney
Trust Sub Committee Medical Group Members
- Professor Liam Grogan
- Professor Cathal J. Kelly
- Professor Gerry McElvaney Medical representative on the MC
- Professor Frank Murray Medical representative on the MC
- Professor Joseph Walshe